Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2009

hubris

The internet is making me hate people I love in real life. Or at the very least, making me question whether I really like them in real life. But then that throws into doubt my scruples regarding friendship.

I don't know how to coherently explain what is going on. I am not referring to the 2 blogs that I follow on here - I should make that clear I suppose - but a friend through a friend's.

Of course blogging is in general a selfish act: a medium through which we can express what we see in the real or online worlds. Yet perhaps the online world is more real these days? or at least a very real portent of the world. Anyway, I fear that blogging is a self important exercise and I just happened to stumble across a disgustingly intense example of this.

Now I best disclaim and allow that I am decently audacious myself, having several million blogs, myspaces, facebooks and all those things. I'm really in no position to criticise.

I guess the tasty thing about blogs is that you can just say whatever the hell you want about most other people - because technically there's no practicable way to police defamation - and be as hypocritical as you want.

1 comment:

  1. hubris is a word i used all throughout 2007 and has now been forgotten. thank you for reminding me that this exists :) hubris.. can also mean excess. in fact that was what the ancient greeks believed it to mean, and it is true: having too much (ie. pride).

    ReplyDelete