Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The End of the World as we know it

I often think about the end of the world, and it fills me with such fright and sorrow. A very specific feeling, it is. I remember last thinking about it when I was on my balcony, I just looked at everything; the road, the people, the trees, and I knew that they couldn't last. It made me realise that nothing is permanent.

Yesterday I was watching an episode of Doctor Who called The End of the World, where they gather to watch the Earth die, five billion years from now. In this episode, the Earth has been protected from the expansion of the sun by gravity satellites, until they run out of money and have to let nature take its course. Doctor Who makes me think a lot about the universe, and I don't usually like sci fi, but it seems somehow special to me.

It's hard for me not to think about the end of world, as it has never been so apparent that we are living on such a fragile planet. We are just one of the billions of species that have lived on this planet, this comparatively small planet with a delicate ecosystem and foolish inhabitants that are destroying that ecosystem. As I said before, this can't last.

If I happen to be alive at the end of the world, I will be afraid and I will be sad. But I also will be free.

2 comments:

  1. this is beautiful
    I am sorrowful reading it

    I also will send you a special present in the form of my sentimental zine for your birthday which is loomin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. cannot wait!

    i felt like adding a healthy 'girrrlfriend' to the end of that.

    ReplyDelete