Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Booooooks

I, like Susie, will have to mention the Harry Potter series. They are the kind of books you disappear into completely, the kind of books you stay up all night reading, not ever wanting to let that world go. They are just good.

Okay, suddenly I can't think of any books. Oh! Ofcourse I will mention Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. A book like this only comes along every once and a while and it will have a profound effect on you. This book brought me to tears, and often, because it deals with so much sadness, but also happiness, and both make me cry. When a book makes me cry, that means it's quite good, by the by. I love Safran Foer's writing and especially in how he portrayed the protagonist, Oskar.

Next, Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse. I really got a lot out of this book, but it took a little while for me to realise it. After I read it, I was researching the book as I chose to base my fanfiction (for uni) on it. It was in hindsight that I realised how many layers it had, much like the multifaceted nature of a Steppenwolf. And I love the language, even though it has been translated from German, it is still very powerful.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley is also one of my favourites. It is just so different to how it is portrayed in the modern day, and I hate how the original story has been twisted so. Victor Frankenstein does have a conscience, and his monster is only a monster because he is named so (Frankenstein calls him daemon). It is at times chilling, horrifically sad, and, that funny little word, poignant.

That will do, because I hear the dogs barking downstairs and I want to go hug them.

No comments:

Post a Comment