Pages

Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Mountain Goats at the Corner Hotel, Melbourne

John Darnielle is* the most generous performer around. So intense but playful and happy, you can tell it's a joy for him to be onstage and it's a joy to watch. People's brows furrow, mouths hang open in awe, hands tremble, clasp one another, tears well - intimate, intimate moments between you and the Mountain Goats.

The whole band seems very aware of how much their music has come to mean to so many people. John sincerely thanked everyone for being there, several times, comparing this show that sold out a fortnight ago to his first show in Melbourne (also at the Corner Hotel) attended by forty-fifty people. This crowd was literally like an army or some kind of cult, everyone yelling along, hurling lyrics back at him, hoping we all die, making it through this year, hailing Satan, knowing that some moments flare up with love.

Everyone has their own Mountain Goats lyric that they've completely fallen for and would do anything to hear it sung. I saw a girl with her eyes fixed on John's, mouthing words and nodding every now and then, like she was meditating. I saw a man who looked like a biker completely transfixed during Woke Up New, his eyebrows raised, honestly on the verge of tears. When John sings your favourite line, it's incredible. Moreso than it is with any other band. Last night mine was "if somebody asks if I'm okay I don't know what to say". I wanted to cry, wanted to bawl right there and then. But when I realised how much I invested in this one band I started to feel ridiculous and had to laugh.

It's the same with the music. One moment John will be talking about self mutilation and then making jokes about how his fringe used to be so long over his eyes because it kept half the sadness of the world out. You gotta admire his repartee with the hecklers who can't stand silence shouting out "NO CHILDREN!!!!". Two songs in some guy yelled for it and then John goes, "I don't mean to be a dick, but it is only the start of the show, I mean..". Then the next anecdote explains how this next song is about a video game.

Of course, this all exposes me for the raging fan that I am. I get that people don't dig their music or just can't be bothered, but their music is performed in such a human way, John is charming without being ostentatious and honestly is just fucking amazing. If that still means nothing, respect the fact that they came out for not one but two encores. During one of the encore songs, he jumped offstage into the crowd, picked people and grabbed them by the shoulders and sang right into their faces. It was slightly alarming, I'll admit, and my heart nearly stopped when he came in my direction, but he grabbed the guy next to me for ages and then everyone began hugging him as he sang "I'll be the best house guest .. " Then when the song was finished he points to the other side of the stage and goes "I'll get you guys next time". Yeah, I'll be there.

*and that would be all if I didn't think 'how lame is that statement'

3 comments:

  1. a few extra things that I can't slot into the review: the support act were really blah. The Crayon Fields play like they're a cover band and the only good thing about them is their lead guitarist who seems to have a shred of talent. the lead singer's vocals are always too soft and although they have this beachy/Italian holiday vibe going on, they are really at odds with the incredibly bored way the lyrics are delivered. and maybe that's the point, and perhaps it's because there was some tall girl who looked like Leelee Sobieski swanning around in one of those weird lace tops right in front of me. I realise that some people want to get as close as they can to the front but I hate the kind of person who stops right next to you WHERE THERE WAS NO SPACE TO BEGIN WITH, then you spend the next twenty minutes hating them for brushing against your bag.
    also the best and most moving back story to one of the songs was for Deuteronomy 2:10 (whether it was fabricated or not, I don't know). John said that he saw footage of the last Tasmanian tiger and he thought about how sad it was that some things just disappear forever. The song became even more moving than it was before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had this folk band open for them, we were outside drinking beer and weren't too interested. Chris Knox and the Nothing were meant to be supporting (Chris Knox is like a big deal or something, I remember Chan Marshall swooning about him and dedicating a song) but because he had a stroke recently, he wasn't feeling up to it. I read your other review-y entry in your LJ too. You said the same thing as me about the silence shouting out songs thing, why do people do that?? argh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's frustrating isn't it. everyone knows they have a set list!! it's probably cause John is really responsive.. I mean he did play Colour in Your Cheeks at someone's reqeust. but still!
    ugh I cannot stop writing about this experience, it was so goooooooood.

    ReplyDelete