Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Before Sunset























Directed by Richard Linklater. Starring Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke. Written by all three.

A movie about two people walking around Paris talking for an afternoon may not be for everyone, but it is for me. The movie is built around these two characters, Celine and Jesse, and the passionate night they shared in Vienna nine years previous (see: Before Sunrise). It is also built around conversations; they talk about love, communism, spirituality, childhood memories, the state of the world, past experiences and so on. It can also be very funny. The brilliant thing about this movie is that it really feels authentic, as if we are really following these two people around Paris. Another thing I noticed when watching the movie, and I wrote it in caps when I was making notes about it, is CHEMISTRY. The connection between these two characters really makes this film into something beautiful.

Here are some of my favourite quotes:

"Happiness is in doing, not in getting what you want."

"Life is hard, it is supposed to be, if we didn't suffer we wouldn't learn a thing."

"I'm designed to be slightly dissatisfied."

The movie ends with:

"Baby, you are going to miss that plane."
"I know."

2 comments:

  1. Oh I really wanna see Before Sunrise. I can never find it! I love the way Before Sunset ends. I like that it's unresolved, films shouldn't need to tie up every loose end, ya dig?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That movie is just perfect to me. Before Sunrise is good, but not as good as the sequel.

    ReplyDelete