Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

spring




















when i think about writing a poem i turn off all sounds, sort of stare into space for a while and just see how it feels to exist inside of a human body. it is something like a distant humming, a vibration akin to pins and needles. my body is making the noise that my mac book makes when everything else is silent. this humming sound is produced by the movement of blood pumping through my veins and organs. sometimes this is how i feel after i have been drinking peppermint tea, or when i am in love.

i can feel my heart in my chest as though it is significant, as though it is not just pumping blood around my body but also feeling the weight of all of my actions and interactions. i think about people who have wrapped my body in theirs, like a sheet wound tightly around me. i have never felt so good.

all of this makes my body feel light, and i wrap my arms around myself to make sure i do not float away if the wind decides to take me. all the time i feel as though i could jump up into the air and be carried away.

it is getting warmer

soon the humming of my body
will be eclipsed by the sound of cicadas

soon pohutukawa trees will bloom
and i will shed my inhibitions like layers of clothing

soon i will drink a lot of beer
and kiss your mouth

2 comments:

  1. This is really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really good

    ReplyDelete